‘For those who live in a land of deep darkness, a light will shine’
Our church is working in partnership with St Martin’s PCC (Liskeard), the South East Cornwall Methodist Circuit, Greenbank Community Church (Liskeard) and Light& Life Free Methodist Church (Liskeard) and have launched a new Christians Against Poverty (CAP) Debt Centre, covering the PL13 & PL14 post code areas of Cornwall – that is Liskeard and Looe and the surrounding areas.
This is a much-needed Christian mission to help those in poverty who are trapped with debt that they cannot afford to repay, whilst spreading the good news.
How it works
1. People seeking help call the national free-phone team at CAP on 0800 328 0006
2. An appointment will be made with the local debt centre manager to visit the client in their home. A befriender attends with the centre manager.
3. After the service has been explained, details about income and expenditure are gathered and then a recommended route out of debt will be discussed and agreed.
4. If the client wishes to continue, CAP will support the client every step of the way.
5. Once the client has agreed to work with CAP, they no longer have to talk with any of their creditors – the burden is lifted almost immediately.
CAP helps anyone, regardless of their beliefs or life choices.
How you can help
In a typical CAP working week, someone becomes debt free every 45 minutes; someone chooses to begin a relationship with Jesus Christ every 2 hours. Wouldn’t you want to be part of that?
You can support your local CAP debt centre by:
– Becoming part of the support team
Contact the church office, the leadership of the church or your local CAP centre to find out how you can be involved. There are many roles including befriending, helping with shopping, organising events, offering blessings, etc. You can be involved as little or as much as you like.
– Becoming a Life Changer
We need money in order to provide this service. Wages, expenses, resources, training, postage, phone calls, printing and blessings cost money. Despite volunteer support and grant funding from the partner churches, we still need to find enough money to continue this valuable mission. If you could commit to regular financial giving, you would be actively and profoundly changing the lives of the poor. Click here to access a standing order & Gift Aid form. Send the standing order form to your bank (or set up a mandate by other means) and return the completed gift aid form to the
church office or direct to St Martin’s.
– Praying for our service and our clients
We would love you to stand with us and pray for our clients and our ministry. Contact our local CAP centre to be added to the regular prayer newsletter to receive specific prayer requests by email.
– Promoting our service
Please tell anyone who can benefit from CAP’s help to call 0800 328 0006 or visit www.capuk.org for more information